Try to find a deep red watermelon as it will give your granite a truly sensational color. After that, follow the three easy steps to make Watermelon And Mint Granita, and enjoy with your friends. This recipe usually serves 8 people.
- 5 kg (3lb 5oz) watermelon, deseeded and cubed
- 80 g (3 oz) caster sugar
- Generous handful of mint leaves, roughly torn
- Finely grated zest and juice of 3 limes
- 5 tbsp white rum
- Watermelon slices, to serve (optional)
Steps to Prepare Watermelon and Mint Granita
- Toss the watermelon in a bowl with the sugar and mint and allow to sit for an hour. Puree in a blender or food processor, then add the lime juice. Push the mixture through a sieve into a shallow container. Add the zest and rum and transfer to the freezer.
- Roughly break up the crystals about 3 times during the freezing process; you just need to use a fork to mash the granite.
- Fork well again just before serving in well-chilled glasses with slice of watermelon, if you like.